Friday, February 13, 2009

Still Angry Little Girls (Lela Lee)

* This sequel to the best-selling ANGRY LITTLE GIRLS is filled with Lela Lee's hip, edgy, yet sweet humor and features the hilarious return of her beloved cast of characters: Kim, the angry little Asian girl; Deborah, the disenchanted princess; Maria, the crazy little Latina; Wanda, the fresh soul sistah; and Xyla, the gloomy girl. From annoying boyfriends to nagging mothers, anxiety attacks to bad hair days, this collection proves that there's an angry little girl inside of everyone.


The title of this book caught my attention while I was browsing through the book sale shelves in TriNoma this afternoon. Still Angry Little Girls. Hmm... Why are the girls angry? I opened the book and was greeted with simple illustrations of these girls. It looks like an interesting read so I didn't think twice on buying it. It only costs P80.00 anyway.

I immediately read it while I was in line at the FX terminal. I couldn't help but laugh. The girls remind me of myself and other people I know. I agree that there really is an angry little girl inside of everyone. Not only that, but we are also at times disenchanted, crazy, fresh, and gloomy.

Here are some of the comic strips:

Deborah: Why are you digging through the trash?
Kim: I'm looking for your reputation.

Deborah: What's it like to be Asian?
Kim: What's it like to be Jewish?
Deborah: I'm not really a practicing Jew. I sometimes eat pork.
Kim: I'm not really a practicing Asian. I sometimes use a fork.
Deborah: I guess we're not good at following rules.
Kim: Yeah, I hate rules.

Kim's Boyfriend: I love you.
Kim: Did you know those are the first words psychopaths say to girls?

Xyla: I give up. I'm never going to find myself.
Maria: Maybe you will.
Xyla: What do you mean "maybe"?
Maria: Maybe you will and maybe you won't. But trying to is what life is all about.
Xyla: I'm doomed!

Kim's Cat: How do you like being a rich girl's status symbol?
Deborah's Dog: How do you like being a single girl's substitute for a boyfriend?
Kim's Cat: Bitch!

This book definitely did not make me angry but laugh. Never mind the stereotypes. I don't really get affected with it.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: