Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rebel Angels (Libba Bray)

* Ah, Christmas! Gemma Doyle is looking forward to a holiday from Spence Academy - spending time with her friends in the city, attending balls in fancy gowns with plunging necklines, and dallying with the handsome Simon Middleton. Yet amid these distractions, her visions intensify - visions of three girls dressed in white, to whom something horrific has happened that only the realms can explain.

The lure is strong, and soon Gemma, Felicity, and Ann are turning flowers into butterflies in the enchanted world to which Gemma takes them. To the girl's great joy, their beloved Pippa is there as well, eager to complete their circle of friendship.


But all is not well in the realms - or out. Kartik is back, desperately insisting to Gemma that she must bind the magic, lest colossal disaster befall her. Gemma is willing to comply, for this would bring her face to face with her late mother's greatest friend, now Gemma's foe - Circe. Until Circe is destroyed, Gemma cannot live out her destiny. But finding Circe proves a most perilous task...


Rebel Angels teems with Victorian thrills and chills that play out against the backdrop of 1895 London, a place of shadows and light... where inside great beauty can lie a rebel angel.



This is the second book in the Gemma Doyle trilogy. Usually, I find second books/sequel in a series not-so-good compared to the first one. But this one did not disappoint me. It is more exciting and action-packed than the first book. I love it!

Gemma spends her first Christmas in London. It is also her first Christmas without her mother. But even without her mother, her Christmas is very, very colorful. There's a new man in her life, Simon Middleton. She is invited to dances and a lot of events. She meets some members of the Order and the Rakshana. She meets a lot of creatures in the realms. Things with Kartik are more intense. She finally meets Circe (I knew it was her when I first read about her!).

With all those things that I mentioned, I don't think Gemma Doyle fans would be bored reading this. Just like the first one, I couldn't put it down. The only time I stopped reading was when I worked on my students' report cards last weekend. But every time I rest my aching hands, I reached out for this book to continue reading. It really took a lot of effort for me to stop reading so that I could continue with work. So as soon as I finished accomplishing my students' report cards, I read the book and didn't stop until the end.

Gemma is not disappointing as a lead character. She is still funny and strong-willed. She made wrong judgments towards some people. But where would the excitement be if she does not commit mistakes? I just wish she would re-assess her friendships with Felicity and Ann. It seems to me that they are just using Gemma for personal gains. Well, hopefully things with them would get better in the next book. As for Gemma's love life, it is definitely clear who her heart belongs to.

The book is fast paced but not so fast that you'd have a hard time catching up. I didn't experience dull moments when reading this. It is an easy read and very engaging.

Rating: 5/5

No comments: